Pittenweem is located in the East Neuk of Fife between Anstruther and St Monans. It grew as a busy fishing port and today is a busy mix of locals , holiday cottages and fishing community.
Created a royal burgh in 1541many of its buildings date from the 16th and 17th centuries and have been restored by the National Trust for Scotland. Kelly Lodging in the High Street dates mainly from the late 16th century and was the town residence of the Earls of Kellie. The Augustinian Priory moved here from the Isle of
May in the 13th century, and the remains of its church are incorporated in the present parish church which incorporated the Tolbooth Tower of 1588. The monastic buildings partly survive, the 15th century gatehouse, the dormitory and the Great House, and the Priors Lodging, remodelled as the rectory in 1840.